top of page

NEWS


Police launch malicious communications probe after threats sent to schools and businesses
Police have launched a malicious communications investigation after threatening emails sent to schools and businesses across County Antrim caused widespread disruption and alarm on Tuesday. The PSNI confirmed six schools were affected in areas including Randalstown, Ballycraigy and Antrim town, while multiple businesses also received the email — the majority in Antrim, with one business impacted in the Ballycastle area. Detectives are now examining whether the incident is lin
May 19


Care home provider fined after resident found with fatal head injury in Co Antrim
Pond Park Care Home A care home provider operating in Northern Ireland has been fined £10,000 following the death of an 85-year-old resident who suffered a significant head injury after not being checked in line with his care plan. Healthcare Ireland (no.2) Limited, part of the wider Healthcare Ireland Group, was sentenced at Lisburn Magistrates Court after pleading guilty to a health and safety offence linked to the incident at Pond Park Nursing Home in Lisburn. The prosecut
May 19


Ballymena mum says thrombectomy ‘saved my life’ as NI misses 500-day stroke pledge
Ballymena woman Gemma O’Hara A Ballymena woman who suffered a stroke at just 39 years old has spoken publicly about the “miracle” treatment that saved her life as pressure mounts on Northern Ireland’s Health Minister to deliver long-promised 24/7 thrombectomy services. Gemma O’Hara says she cannot bear to think what her life would look like today had she not received the emergency clot-removal procedure in time after collapsing shortly after returning home from a holiday in T
May 19


Strictly stuns fans with first-ever three-host line-up for 2026
Set to host Strictly Come Dancing 2026: Presenter Emma Willis, professional dancer Johannes Radebe and comedian Josh Widdicombe. (Image: BBC/Ray Burmiston) The BBC has unveiled a dramatic new era for Strictly Come Dancing, confirming the show will be fronted by three presenters for the first time in its history following the departure of long-serving hosts Tess Daly and Claudia Winkleman. Presenter Emma Willis, professional dancer Johannes Radebe and comedian Josh Widdicombe
May 19


Police say threats sent to County Antrim schools are ‘not credible’
Police investigating threatening emails sent to schools and businesses across County Antrim say the messages are “not believed to be a credible threat at this time” following enquiries carried out throughout Tuesday. The update from the PSNI came after widespread concern earlier in the day when reports emerged that multiple schools and businesses had received emails referencing knife and bomb threats. Officers confirmed reassurance patrols were carried out across affected are
May 19


Co Tyrone crash victim named as 38-year-old father Adrian Slevin
38-year-old Adrian Slevin from the Dromore area who sadly died following a road traffic collision in Co Tyrone The man who died following a two-vehicle collision in Co Tyrone at the weekend has been named by police as 38-year-old Adrian Slevin from the Dromore area. The fatal crash happened on the Clanabogan Road area of Omagh on Sunday, May 17, and has left another Northern Ireland community mourning the loss of a local man. Police confirmed on Tuesday that Mr Slevin died fo
May 19


Jim Allister condemns ‘sinister’ threats against County Antrim schools
Inset: North Antrim MP Jim Allister North Antrim MP Jim Allister has condemned what he described as “sinister emails” threatening knife and bomb attacks on schools in the County Antrim area, warning that those responsible must be “dealt with robustly”. The comments came after police confirmed they were investigating an email sent to multiple schools and businesses on Tuesday 19th May, prompting increased patrols and widespread concern among parents, teachers and local communi
May 19


Police investigate threatening email sent to schools and businesses across County Antrim
Police have launched an investigation after multiple schools and businesses across County Antrim received a concerning email on Tuesday morning, prompting increased patrols and urgent enquiries by officers. The PSNI confirmed on Tuesday 19th May that the email had been distributed to a number of locations in the area, sparking concern among parents, staff, businesses and local communities. Officers are now working to establish the origin and intent behind the message while li
May 19


£375,000 cocaine seizure as two men arrested in latest police drugs operation
Drugs seized by police in latest operation against organised crime in Northern Ireland Detectives investigating organised crime in north Belfast have seized suspected cocaine worth an estimated £375,000 and arrested two men following a police operation on Monday, 18 May. The major drugs seizure was carried out by the Police Service of Northern Ireland’s Organised Crime Branch as part of an ongoing investigation into suspected criminal activity in the area. Two men, aged 23 an
May 19


Major Roger Casement GAC development gets green light in Portglenone
Planning permission has been approved for a major new sports and community hub at Roger Casement GAC following a meeting of Mid and East Antrim Borough Council’s Planning Committee at The Braid in Ballymena last week. The development at Gortgole Road will include a multi-purpose pavilion, floodlit 4G playing field, play park, spectator terraces, additional car parking, landscaping, fencing and associated site works. The proposal also includes a new access onto Lovers Lane and
May 19


Residents group raises concerns over impact of major football centre planned near Galgorm
Planning image of proposed new National Football Centre near Galgorm A major new National Football Centre proposed for a 50-acre site near Galgorm and Cullybackey is already generating strong local debate, with residents raising concerns over how the large-scale development could transform the surrounding rural area. The proposed Irish Football Association (IFA) complex, submitted to Mid and East Antrim Borough Council, would include six football pitches, spectator stands, fl
May 19


Northern Ireland-led ICU recovery trial offers new hope for survivors recovering at home
A major Northern Ireland-led medical trial has identified a promising new way to help some intensive care survivors recover at home after life-threatening illness, with researchers saying remote rehabilitation could improve quality of life while easing pressure on hospitals. The groundbreaking iRehab Trial — jointly led by researchers from Ulster University and Queen’s University Belfast — has been published in the prestigious Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA
May 18


St Louis Grammar crowned Northern Ireland’s top school for A-Level results
St Louis Grammar School in Ballymena has been ranked the top-performing school in Northern Ireland for A-Level results after achieving an extraordinary 98% rate of pupils securing three or more A-Level passes at grades A*-C. The achievement places the Ballymena school at number one in the Belfast Telegraph’s latest league table rankings for 2025, marking a major moment not only for the school community but for education in the wider North Antrim area. It comes amid growing pr
May 18


Students get hands-on taste of hospitality careers at Galgorm Resort
Pupils form Cambridge House Grammar School try their hand at cupcake decorating under the guidance of chef, Sandra McCooke as the Mayor of Mid and East Antrim Borough Council, Councillor Jackson Minford and Colin Johnston, CEO of Galgorm Collection look on. Forty local pupils have been given a behind-the-scenes look at careers in hospitality and tourism as part of a growing Mid and East Antrim programme designed to connect classroom learning with real workplace opportunities.
May 18


Ballymena HMO plan refused after parking and overcrowding concerns
HMO application refused: 119 Broughshane Street, Ballymena A planning application to convert a dwelling into a house in multiple occupation (HMO) in Ballymena town centre was refused by Mid and East Antrim Borough Council’s Planning Committee last week. The proposal related to an end-of-terrace property at 119 Broughshane Street. A planning officer told the committee the property is two-and-a-half storeys high and currently has one on-site parking space. He said the house con
May 18


Families, carers and zero-hours workers set for major rights boost under new NI jobs law
Northern Ireland Economy Minister Caoimhe Archibald Economy Minister Caoimhe Archibald has outlined sweeping employment reforms which could significantly change workplace rights for thousands of workers and families across Northern Ireland. The proposed Good Jobs Bill includes new protections for pregnant employees, rights for zero-hours workers to secure more stable contracts, neonatal leave and pay for parents of sick babies, and new unpaid leave for carers. The legislation
May 18


Ballycastle wellness entrepreneur wins major regional business award
Twenty-four year-old Declan McCook, founder of Niche Coastal A young entrepreneur from Ballycastle has been recognised among the top emerging businesses across Scotland and Northern Ireland after securing silver in the prestigious HSBC & FSB Start-Up Business Awards. At just 24 years old, Declan McCook, founder of Niche Coastal, was named runner-up in one of the competition’s most competitive categories — a significant achievement for a business launched little more than a ye
May 18


Two arrested in Scotland over murder of Nicky Gordon in Belfast
Murdered: Nicholas “Nicky” Gordon Two men have been arrested in Scotland on suspicion of murdering east Belfast man Nicholas “Nicky” Gordon following a cross-jurisdiction police operation linked to the fatal Holywood Road assault. Mr Gordon, 51, died in hospital on Saturday, 16 May, four days after he was seriously attacked in the Holywood Road area of Belfast during the early hours of Tuesday, 12 May. The arrests mark a major development in the PSNI murder investigation whic
May 18


£10million new school build finally underway after decade-long wait in Glenravel
Education Minister Paul Givan is pictured with Principal Malachy Conlon, Vice Principal Lauren McLoughlin and the youngest pupils at St Mary’s Queen of Peace Primary School Construction has officially begun on the long-awaited new building for Mary Queen of Peace Primary School in Glenravel, marking a major milestone for a community that has spent more than a decade waiting for the project to become reality. The £10million investment will deliver a modern nine-classroom schoo
May 18


Mid and East Antrim expands bin lorry fleet as housing growth drives demand
Mayor of Mid and East Antrim, Councillor Jackson Minford, and Rowan Moore, Director of Place at Mid and East Antrim Borough Council, are pictured at Slemish alongside a few of the new vehicles joining the Council’s refuse collection fleet. Mid and East Antrim Borough Council is investing in ten new refuse collection vehicles as pressure grows on waste services across a rapidly expanding Borough. The major fleet upgrade includes a mix of smaller rural-access vehicles and large
May 18
bottom of page
