top of page

Police say threats sent to County Antrim schools are ‘not credible’

  • Writer: Love Ballymena
    Love Ballymena
  • 3 minutes ago
  • 2 min read
PSNI crest on green background

Police investigating threatening emails sent to schools and businesses across County Antrim say the messages are “not believed to be a credible threat at this time” following enquiries carried out throughout Tuesday.


The update from the PSNI came after widespread concern earlier in the day when reports emerged that multiple schools and businesses had received emails referencing knife and bomb threats.



Officers confirmed reassurance patrols were carried out across affected areas as part of a major response operation aimed at protecting communities and assessing any potential risk.


Police believe emails were intended to cause disruption


North Area Commander Chief Superintendent Kelly Moore said investigators believe the emails were sent deliberately to disrupt normal daily life across the area.


She said:


“Reassurance patrols have been conducted today across the areas affected, and we will continue with these as our enquiries progress.



“We continue to examine the nature of contents included within the email – which we believe was circulated in a deliberate attempt to cause significant disruption to daily life.


“However, we would like to reassure communities that nothing untoward has been located following our enquiries, and this is not believed to be a credible threat at this time.”


The statement is likely to bring some reassurance to parents, school staff and businesses affected by the incident after hours of uncertainty throughout Tuesday.



Appeal issued over online speculation


Police have also urged the public not to fuel speculation online as enquiries continue.


Chief Superintendent Moore said:


“Police take incidents of this nature very seriously and we understand the concern in the community, not to mention the disruption it has caused.


“We would like to thank each of the schools and businesses affected for their assistance with our enquiries to date.



“We are also aware of social media posts in relation to this matter, and we would appeal to the public not to share posts or speculate online.”


The PSNI warning comes amid increasing concern nationally around the spread of misinformation and unverified claims online during live incidents and police investigations.


Enquiries remain ongoing across County Antrim


Police confirmed investigations are continuing and appealed for anyone with information to come forward.


Anyone with information that could assist enquiries is asked to contact police on 101 quoting reference number 162 19/05/26.



Information can also be submitted online through the PSNI non-emergency reporting portal at:


PSNI online reporting form


People can also contact  Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.


While police say the threats are not currently considered credible, reassurance patrols are expected to remain in place as enquiries continue into who was responsible for sending the emails.

bottom of page