Jim Allister condemns ‘sinister’ threats against County Antrim schools
- Love Ballymena
- 3 minutes ago
- 2 min read

Inset: North Antrim MP Jim Allister
North Antrim MP Jim Allister has condemned what he described as “sinister emails” threatening knife and bomb attacks on schools in the County Antrim area, warning that those responsible must be “dealt with robustly”.
The comments came after police confirmed they were investigating an email sent to multiple schools and businesses on Tuesday 19th May, prompting increased patrols and widespread concern among parents, teachers and local communities.
Mr Allister said the threats had caused understandable alarm and praised the PSNI response as enquiries continue across affected areas.
‘Any threat directed at children is utterly reprehensible’
Reacting to the developing incident, the Traditional Unionist Voice leader said any threat aimed at children or school staff crossed a serious line.
He said:
“I am deeply concerned by reports of sinister emails threatening knife and bomb attacks on schools in Co Antrim area.
“Any threat directed at children, parents, teachers or school staff is utterly reprehensible. I welcome the swift response from the PSNI in investigating these threats and carrying out reassurance patrols.
“Those responsible for this malicious hoax, if that is indeed what it proves to be, must be identified and dealt with robustly.”
The remarks reflect growing concern locally following confirmation that a number of schools and businesses had received the email earlier on Tuesday.
Police continue enquiries across affected areas
The PSNI said officers are investigating the contents of the email and carrying out a number of enquiries.
Reassurance patrols have also been increased in affected areas as police continue engaging with schools, businesses and partner agencies.
A PSNI spokesperson said:
“Police received reports today, Tuesday 19th May, of an email having been sent to multiple schools and businesses in the County Antrim area.
“Officers are investigating the contents included within this email, and are conducting a number of enquiries.
“Reassurance patrols have also been increased in the areas affected, in order help keep our communities safe.
“We would urge anyone to report anything suspicious to police on our 101 number, always 999 in an emergency.”
Police added that officers would continue engaging with those affected throughout the course of the day as the investigation progresses.
Concern for parents and school communities
The incident has sparked concern among parents and school communities across County Antrim, particularly given the references to potential violence contained within the threatening messages.
While police have not disclosed further operational details, the increased patrols are likely to remain visible in some areas as enquiries continue.
The incident also highlights the disruption and anxiety malicious threats can create for schools and businesses, even where no immediate danger is identified.
Anyone with information or concerns is urged to contact police on 101, or 999 in an emergency.
