top of page

Police launch malicious communications probe after threats sent to schools and businesses

  • Writer: Love Ballymena
    Love Ballymena
  • 4 minutes ago
  • 2 min read
PSNI police car

Police have launched a malicious communications investigation after threatening emails sent to schools and businesses across County Antrim caused widespread disruption and alarm on Tuesday.


The PSNI confirmed six schools were affected in areas including Randalstown, Ballycraigy and Antrim town, while multiple businesses also received the email — the majority in Antrim, with one business impacted in the Ballycastle area.


Detectives are now examining whether the incident is linked to a false police report made to premises in the Mull Road area of Antrim on Monday night.



Police investigate possible link to false report in Antrim


North Area Commander Chief Superintendent Kelly Moore said enquiries are focusing on both the threatening email and the earlier false report.


She said:


“The email affected six schools in a number of areas including Randalstown, Ballycraigy, and Antrim town.


“Multiple businesses were also impacted – with the majority located in Antrim, and one also based in the Ballycastle area.




“As part of our enquiries, led by detectives, we are examining a potential link between the email and a false police report to premises in the Mull Road area of Antrim last night. Those directly impacted by this incident are being supported by police.”


The latest update provides the clearest indication yet that investigators believe the incident may have been part of a wider coordinated attempt to cause fear and disruption across local communities.



Schools, businesses and political representatives engaged by police


Police said officers spent much of Tuesday working directly with schools, businesses, partner agencies and political representatives affected by the incident.


The threats prompted heightened concern among parents, staff and local businesses throughout the day, with reassurance patrols also deployed across affected areas.



Chief Superintendent Moore said:


Today we have been working with those affected including partner agencies as well schools, businesses and local political representatives.


“Reports of this nature, we know and understand, can cause significant concern and disruption to local communities, and we are continuing to examine the circumstances behind it.


“We would again like to thank those affected for their patience and co-operation while our enquiries continue.”


Earlier on Tuesday, police said the threatening emails were not believed to represent a credible threat following enquiries carried out during the day.



Appeal for information as enquiries continue


The PSNI has appealed for anyone with information to come forward as detectives continue their investigation.


Anyone with information that could assist enquiries is asked to contact police on 101 quoting reference number 162 19/05/26.


Information can also be submitted online through the PSNI non-emergency reporting portal:


PSNI online reporting form


People can also contact  Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.


The investigation remains ongoing.



bottom of page