SEN summer schemes to go ahead after backlash and political pressure
- Love Ballymena

- Mar 27
- 6 min read

Ulster Unionist Party leader and education spokesperson Jon Burrows MLA
Summer schemes for children with special educational needs will now go ahead — a dramatic turnaround following days of uncertainty that left families fearing vital support had been lost.
The confirmation, welcomed by Ulster Unionist Party leader and education spokesperson Jon Burrows MLA, follows intense political pressure and urgent engagement between the Departments of Education and Health.
For families across Northern Ireland, including many in Ballymena and Mid and East Antrim, the decision restores a lifeline of care, structure and respite ahead of the summer months.
EA Reversal
The news of the U-Turn by the Education Authority (EA) came late on Friday afternoon.
A spokesperson for EA said:
"Following further engagement involving the Education Authority, the Department of Health and the Department of Education, the Department of Health has now been able to confirm that nursing support will be made available at each special school summer scheme site.
“This represents a workable solution that will enable special school summer schemes to be held this year.
“The overriding priority of everyone concerned remains the safety and well-being of children and young people, and EA will continue to work with special school principals to urgently prioritise planning for the summer schemes.
“Engagement will also continue on developing and embedding a robust and stable model for year-round health care provision for special schools."
“Absolutely the right outcome” — Burrows
Mr Burrows said the confirmation marked a crucial outcome for children with complex needs and their families.
“I warmly welcome the confirmation from both the Ministers of Health and Education that the Summer Schemes at Special Schools will go ahead this summer. These schemes provide vital structure and respite for children with complex additional needs and their families, and their continuation is absolutely the right outcome.”
He revealed he had met with Education Authority (EA) officials to press for an urgent resolution, amid growing concern following the initial announcement.
“Today I met with officials from the Education Authority to press for an urgent resolution and made clear the imperative of finding solutions immediately. I know from direct engagement that our Health Minister has been working hard to get this issue resolved following the EA’s distressing announcement yesterday.”
Anger over “avoidable distress” for families
Despite welcoming the outcome, Mr Burrows strongly criticised how the situation unfolded, warning it should never have reached this point.
“However, this situation should never have arisen in the first place. The EA’s decision to announce the cancellation of these schemes on a Thursday, just before the Easter recess, was completely unnecessary and caused avoidable distress and uncertainty for families and schools.”
The initial move to cancel the schemes had sparked widespread alarm, with concerns raised about the loss of essential support for some of the most vulnerable children.
Calls for long-term reform
Mr Burrows also pointed to deeper systemic issues, suggesting the crisis exposed weaknesses in staffing and planning within the Education Authority.
“This episode highlights the pressing need for a comprehensive review of the EA’s workforce arrangements and training, to ensure we have adequately trained staff available to support our most vulnerable children throughout the academic year, including during the summer period. Their request for nurses to support SEN summer schemes clearly stems from issues within their current staffing model.”
He confirmed he has formally written to the Education Minister, calling for action to address long-term challenges.
“I have therefore written to the Education Minister to formally raise this matter and to call for action on long term planning in this area.
“The Ulster Unionist Party will continue to stand up for children with special educational needs and their families. We must learn from this episode and put in place the proper systems to ensure such uncertainty is never repeated.”
Alliance: “This should never have escalated” — ministers accused after U-turn
Alliance Deputy Leader Eóin Tennyson MLA has said the confirmation that SEN summer schemes will proceed will come as a relief to families — but warned the handling of the situation has caused unnecessary panic and distress.
Speaking after the Education Authority confirmed the schemes will go ahead, Mr Tennyson linked the reversal to mounting political pressure, including Alliance’s move to trigger an Assembly recall.
“While this is positive news and a huge relief for many families to know their children can attend their usual summer schemes this year, there should never have been such panic and distress caused in the first place,” he said.
He was highly critical of how the situation was managed by both departments.
“The handling of this situation by both the Education and Health Ministers has been deeply inadequate and, frankly, incompetent. This matter should have been resolved far earlier and never allowed to escalate to the point where concerned parents and the prospect of a recall were needed to prompt action.”
Mr Tennyson emphasised the importance of the schemes, describing them as essential support for families.
“These summer schemes are a vital lifeline for many families and children during the summer months, and it is deeply concerning that they continue to face unnecessary obstacles and are repeatedly forced to fight for the support and provision they need.”
He added that further scrutiny will follow, with Alliance seeking clarity on the final arrangements.
“We need to see the full details of what is being proposed by both departments, but Alliance will continue to press this issue until every child receives the summer scheme they were promised.”
“How did we get here?” — Armstrong questions handling of crisis
TUV Ballymena Councillor Matthew Armstrong has also welcomed the confirmation that summer schemes will now go ahead — but has sharply criticised how the situation unfolded, warning that serious questions remain.
“This evening’s statement confirming that summer schemes for children with special educational needs will go ahead is welcome and will come as a huge relief to families across Northern Ireland,” he said.
“However, the whole fiasco raises a bigger issue. How did we ever get into this mess in the first place? Why were parents of the most vulnerable children in our society forced to go onto the airwaves and to the papers to plead for this most basic provision when — as today’s statement shows — the resources were always there? It was just a matter of finding the political will.”
Mr Armstrong said the episode reflects a wider concern about how the sector is treated in decision-making.
“For my part, I believe that the way the issue has been handled is indicative of how this sector is often an afterthought and the ramifications of policy decisions are not properly thought through.”
He also pointed to the role of public pressure in forcing a reversal.
“So welcome as the announcement is, one needs to recognise that it was only made after parents of SEN children publicly explained why this was a bad idea and forced the Education and Health Ministers into action.
“That should never have been necessary.”
The councillor added that the timing and handling of the original announcement requires scrutiny.
“The whole way the issue was handled — including the decision to try sneaking it out when the Assembly was on the verge of the Easter recess — demands explanation.”
Relief for families after days of uncertainty
The confirmation that schemes will proceed brings relief to families who rely on them not just for childcare, but for routine, development and social interaction.
The episode, however, has left lingering questions about decision-making, communication, and the resilience of support systems for children with complex needs.
With political pressure now turning toward reform, attention is likely to shift from crisis response to ensuring long-term stability — so that families are not left in limbo again.
At a glance
Special school summer schemes will go ahead this summer
Decision follows intervention from Education and Health Ministers
Reversal comes after initial cancellation caused widespread concern
Jon Burrows MLA welcomed the outcome as vital for families
Schemes provide essential structure, support and respite
Education Authority criticised over timing of cancellation announcement
Families and schools faced significant uncertainty ahead of summer
Concerns raised about staffing, training and reliance on nursing provision.
Calls for a full review of EA workforce arrangements
Focus now shifts to long-term planning to prevent future disruption



