Kilrea man jailed after targeting teenage boys in online sex offences case
- Love Ballymena
- 5 minutes ago
- 3 min read

22-year-old Cameron Mullen from Kilrea
A 22-year-old man from Kilrea has been sentenced to more than two years in prison after police uncovered a series of online child sexual offences involving young teenage boys contacted through Instagram.
Cameron Mullen was sentenced at Dungannon Crown Court on Wednesday, May 20, after pleading guilty to seven offences including sexual communication with a child and inciting children to engage in sexual activity online.
The case emerged after a parent in the Mid Ulster area contacted police in January 2025 over concerns that an adult was making sexual communications with their child via the internet.
Rapid police enquiries led detectives to identify Mullen within days, resulting in his arrest and the seizure of his mobile phone.
Police uncovered contact with multiple teenage boys
Investigators said mobile phone examinations revealed Mullen had contacted several young teenage boys through Instagram, with prosecutors ultimately pursuing charges relating to three victims who were all under the age of 16 at the time.
The charges included:
• Sexual communication with a child
• Adult causing or inciting a child aged between 13 and 16 to engage in sexual activity
• Incitement to distribute indecent photographs or pseudo-photographs of a child
• Adult causing a child to watch a sexual act
Mullen was sentenced to two years and four months in custody and will also be subject to a Sexual Offences Prevention Order for the next 10 years.
The order places strict restrictions on offenders following release and is designed to help protect the public from further sexual offending behaviour.
Detective warns of growing online threat to children
Detective Chief Inspector David McBurney said the case highlighted how offenders increasingly use online platforms to manipulate and exploit young people.
“This case demonstrates how offenders can use online platforms to gain a child’s trust before quickly steering conversations to a sexual nature to satisfy their own sexual perversions,” he said.
“It is sickening that we are seeing younger and younger offenders in this space.”
He said Mullen deliberately built rapport with the boys before rapidly turning conversations sexual — something police say has become a common grooming tactic used online.
“This behaviour is manipulative and predatory, and it will not be tolerated,” the detective added.
“Protecting children and young people from sexual exploitation remains a top priority for us and we will continue to robustly pursue those who seek to harm children online.”
Police also urged parents and guardians to remain alert to their children’s online activity and to encourage open conversations around internet safety and online grooming risks.
Parent speaks of ‘worst nightmare’ after child targeted
In a powerful statement released through police, the parent of one of the victims described the devastating emotional impact the offending had on their child and family.
“It is every parent’s worst nightmare to experience what I did,” the parent said.
“It hurt me immensely to see my child stripped entirely of his innocence whilst the perpetrator preyed onto him and tortured him, both mentally and psychologically.”
The parent said their child had been repeatedly coerced into sharing indecent images and exposed to explicit sexual content online.
“Please be vigilant if your child has a smartphone as we often believe they are safe,” they added.
“The internet is not a safe place and it can have detrimental consequences if your own child is subjected to what my child seen and was asked to do.”
The statement warned that the consequences of online exploitation can be life-altering for children and families, urging other parents not to dismiss concerns about internet activity or online messaging platforms.
Police urge public to report concerns immediately
Detectives said the case also demonstrated the importance of parents reporting concerns quickly, allowing officers to intervene before further harm was caused.
DCI McBurney issued a direct warning to those involved in online child sexual abuse, saying police are actively working to identify offenders operating through social media and messaging platforms.
“Let this serve as another warning to those perpetrating child sexual abuse in our communities,” he said.
“You will be caught, your lies uncovered and you will face the full force of the law.”
The case is likely to renew wider concerns around online safety for children and the risks posed through social media apps commonly used by young teenagers across Northern Ireland.
