Family of 13 year old Kadeem ask for prayers as Ballymena lad continues his fight in Royal
The family of 13-year-old Kadeem O’Gallagher have appealed for prayers for the Ballymena lad as he continues to be treated by doctors in the ICU of the Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast.
Kadeem was one of two children who were seriously injured when their motorcycles collided on Thursday afternoon (16 June) in the Dunclug area of the town. Tragically, the other child - nine-year-old Charlie Joyce, died from his injuries which he sustained in the accident in the early hours of Friday morning (17 June).
In a post widely shared on social media, Kadeem’s grandfather appealed on Saturday for the community to pray for his grandson. He said:
“This is a wee update on my grandson Kadeem’s condition. He was one of the two boys that had the motorcycle collision in Ballymena.
“He spent approximately 8-9 hours in theatre yesterday going through some horrendous rebuilding of his poor wee body.
“They think that they got him sorted. He has serious right arm and leg compound breaks.
“However when they started the surgery they knew that he had a cut from his nose right down his face and that he had also lost his teeth, but when they went to fix his face they discovered that his whole top jawbone was completely shattered and that took many hours to repair.
“This morning as they were turning him, he tried to move his good arm up to his face and they said that’s a good sign. They may try and wake him up ether later today or tomorrow.
“This will be done very very slowly and is a critical time in his recovery. It’s also the hardest part of his treatment and we remain very hopeful that he will continue to fight as hard as he has done so far.
“We all love you precious boy so much and will continue as a whole family to send our healing strength and love to you.
“I would ask everyone to say a prayer for him and also for the other poor child and his family that lost his life in the accident”.
Tomorrow, Monday 20 June, the heartbroken family of Charlie Joyce will attend Noon Mass before the burial in Ballymena Cemetery.
A funeral notice posted by J Stevenson and Son Funeral Directors said:
Joyce, June 17th 2022 at the Royal Victoria Hospital for Sick Children after a tragic accident (Aged 9 Years). Charlie, Precious Son of Joe and Katie-Marie, 133 Dunclug Gardens Ballymena and dearest Brother of Martina, Rhianna, Joeleigha, Atlanta, Joseph, and Georgia R.I.P.
His remains will leave his home on Monday the 20th at 11am, to All Saints Church for 12 noon mass, followed by burial in Ballymena Cemetery (new extension).
“Will be lovingly remembered by his family and all the family circle and friends”.