Ballymena riot participant jailed for role in “race-motivated disorder”
- Love Ballymena

- Jun 29
- 2 min read

Sentenced: Jamie Kinley for involvement in riots in Ballymena
A man has been jailed for his role in the race-motivated disorder that brought scenes of violence and destruction to Ballymena last year.
Jamie Kinley, from Antrim, was sentenced at Antrim Crown Court on Monday, June 29, to 30 months imprisonment after being convicted of riotous behaviour connected to the disturbances.
The sentence will see Kinley serve 15 months in custody followed by a further 15 months on licence.
The conviction relates to sustained disorder in Ballymena during June 2025, which police described as race-motivated violence that left residents, businesses and communities fearful for their safety.
Kinley was arrested on August 21, 2025, as part of the police investigation into those involved in the unrest.
Homes, businesses and officers targeted
Detective Inspector Gallagher described the events as “shameful scenes” involving large-scale disorder by individuals intent on causing harm.
He said roads, homes, vehicles and local business premises were damaged during the violence, while some members of the public feared for their lives as disorder spread through parts of the town.
Police officers responding to the disturbances also came under sustained attack.
Detective Inspector Gallagher said officers were injured after petrol bombs, heavy masonry and fireworks were thrown at them during efforts to restore order.
“At the time, we assured the public that we will work tirelessly to restore calm and ensure that anyone who chooses to take part in this criminality is brought to justice,” he said.
Police say more prosecutions will follow
The PSNI said Kinley’s sentencing represents only one stage in an ongoing effort to identify and prosecute those involved in the disorder.
Detective Inspector Gallagher praised the work of the investigation team responsible for gathering evidence and pursuing cases linked to the disturbances.
“Our dedicated investigation team has worked tirelessly to ensure that those involved are prosecuted – today’s sentencing is one of many over this disorder,” he said.
The sentencing is one of a number of cases arising from the Ballymena unrest and police have indicated further prosecutions are expected as investigations continue.
Police renew appeal for information
The PSNI has renewed its appeal for anyone affected by crime, or anyone with information relating to criminal activity, to come forward.
Anyone with information can contact police on 101, or call 999 in an emergency.
Reports can also be submitted online through the PSNI’s non-emergency reporting service at www.psni.police.uk/makeareport/.
Those wishing to provide information anonymously can contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or submit information online via www.crimestoppers-uk.org.
As investigations linked to the Ballymena disorder continue, police say they remain committed to pursuing those responsible and providing reassurance to communities affected by the violence.



