top of page

‘Where are the arrests?’ TUV challenge PSNI over Londonderry bonfires

  • Writer: Love Ballymena
    Love Ballymena
  • 1 day ago
  • 3 min read
Republican bonfire

The PSNI is facing calls to bring those responsible for burning poppy wreaths, Loyal Order regalia, flags and other material on bonfires in Londonderry before the courts.


Police have confirmed that material placed on three bonfires in the city on Saturday night is being treated as part of a series of sectarian-motivated hate crimes, with investigations now under way.


The bonfires were located at Bligh’s Lane in Creggan, Lecky Road in the Bogside and Corrody Road in the Top of the Hill area of the Waterside.



Police investigate sectarian hate crimes


Area Commander for Derry City and Strabane, Chief Superintendent Gillian Kearney, said items placed on the bonfires included flags, poppy wreaths, banners, political material, sashes and football shirts.


“These are being treated as sectarian-motivated hate crimes,” she said.


Police have not announced any arrests in connection with the incidents.



Chief Superintendent Kearney added:


“The material placed on bonfires in the city is disgraceful, and is to be condemned. It will have no impact on the work we do every single day to make a difference and help the communities we serve.”


PSNI urged to make arrests after sectarian material burned on Londonderry bonfires

A poster depicting Sinn Féin First Minister Michelle O’Neill was also placed on one of the bonfires alongside other emblems.


Responding to the incident, Mrs O’Neill said:


“The burning of images and references to me in Derry last night are the very opposite of republicanism.


“Let me be very clear, I will not be deterred, distracted or intimidated.


“I will continue to call out sectarianism, anti-community activity and destruction wherever it comes from.


“These bonfires are a blight on our community.”



TUV questions policing response


TUV chairman Councillor Allister Kyle

TUV chairman Councillor Allister Kyle


TUV chairman Councillor Allister Kyle has questioned whether the police response will match the approach taken following a controversial bonfire at Moygashel, where an arrest was made and a suspect was subsequently denied bail after police opposed the application.


“In the aftermath of the Moygashel bonfire we not only had an arrest but someone denied bail after the police opposed it,” Councillor Kyle said.


“Given what was burned in Republican areas of Londonderry last night I have a simple question — will the PSNI be taking a similar approach?


“Loyal Order collarettes, stolen flags, a Coleraine football club banner and even poppy wreaths all went up in smoke last night.”


PSNI urged to make arrests after sectarian material burned on Londonderry bonfires

Councillor Kyle said Sinn Féin had condemned the bonfires but claimed there had been “a telling lack of the sort of robust language” used following the events in Moygashel.


He also alleged that some unionists in the city believed police were reluctant to confront republican perpetrators.


“There is a growing belief among the minority Unionists population in the city that the PSNI are reluctant to take on Republican thugs in the city who have continued to subject them to sectarian attacks and now have shown blind hatred for their culture, traditions and even the sacrifices to save us from Nazi tyranny,” he said.


“But the time for statements of condemnation is past. It’s time to bring those responsible before the courts and get them off the streets.”



Investigation into July incident remains active


Councillor Kyle also raised concerns about an incident involving young Protestant bandsmen and women leaving the Apprentice Boys Memorial Hall in the city during July.


Police said they were made aware of the incident and that officers intervened at the time. An active investigation remains under way.


The TUV chairman said:


“Tellingly, there wasn’t so much as a statement on the PSNI website following the attack on young Protestant bands men and women leaving the Apprentice Boys Memorial Hall last month much less anyone held accountable.”



Owners of recovered wreaths sought


Police said a further collection of potentially stolen commemorative items was uncovered on Thursday 13 August during a Department for Infrastructure-led operation to remove pallets from beneath the Lecky flyover in the Bogside.


The items included six poppy wreaths and a First World War commemoration banner.


Officers are investigating how the material came to be there and are attempting to establish its ownership.


Anyone who believes one of the wreaths or the banner belongs to them has been asked to call police on 101, quoting reference RM26049446, to arrange its return.


Police said enquiries into all the incidents remain ongoing and that every suspected offence will be investigated. The central question now is whether those investigations will identify the people responsible and lead to arrests and possible prosecution.



bottom of page