top of page
  • Writer's pictureLove Ballymena

Council launch investigation after man’s body recovered from golf course lake


Antrim and Newtownabbey Borough Council have launched an investigation after the body of a man, believed to be in his 50’s, was recovered from a lake on Tuesday afternoon (26 October) at a golf course near the Hilton Hotel in Templepatrick.

According to a BBC report, two men had been diving for golf balls in the lake, but the alarm was raised when only one man resurfaced.



In a statement, the local council said:


“The Council has been made aware of an incident in the Paradise Walk area of Templepatrick earlier today.


”The incident is currently being investigated by the Council. As this is a live investigation, no further comment can be made at this time.


“Our thoughts and prayers are with this gentleman’s family at this very sad time.”



Emergency Services rushed to the scene of the incident shortly after 2pm including police, two fire appliances along with a specialist rescue team, Northern Ireland Ambulance Service, and HEMS Air Ambulance.


A spokesperson for the Police Service of Northern Ireland commented about on the incident:


“Police received a report today (Tuesday 26 October) shortly before 2.05pm, for the concern for safety of a man in a lake in the Paradise Walk area of Templepatrick.

“Police and other emergency services responded. Sadly, a man’s body was later recovered from the water.“


Ulster Unionist Party (UUP) Alderman Paul Michael told BBC News NI that it was "an absolute tragedy".


"My thoughts and prayers are with the man's family. It is a tragic situation. Not one we have ever heard before," he said.

"The community is in total shock. This is such a peaceful and tranquil part of the world and people just cannot believe it."



Comments


bottom of page