This is absolutely the easiest way to cook your Christmas ham and it is delicious!
You can get ahead and cook the ham on Christmas Eve and then just finish it off in the oven on Christmas Day if you need to - perfect.
P.S. Fight you for the caramelised end bits!
Jill Stewart (@jillbakes_)
County Antrim Foodie and Instagrammer
1 large gammon roast
150ml boiling water
2 eating apples, cut into large chunks
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp Demerara sugar
• Soak the raw gammon in cold water in the fridge overnight. I use the slow cooker insert or you could use a large saucepan. This helps to get rid of some of the excess saltiness.
• In the morning, pour out the water and rinse the gammon. Put the gammon back into the slow cooker along with 150ml boiling water and the chopped apples.
• Cook on low for 6-7 hours.
• After this time, remove the gammon from the slow cooker and place onto a chopping board.
Cut the net off and if there is a layer of fat, cut this off too.
• You can enjoy it as it is but the next step makes it even more delicious!
• Preheat oven to 180-200 degrees fan.
Transfer the gammon to a baking tray. Drizzle the honey evenly over the gammon and sprinkle over the sugar.
• Roast in the oven for 25-35 minutes or until it is golden and crispy on the top.
• Allow to rest for 10 minutes and then slice. It's easier with an electric knife.
MEET JILL STEWART…
Jill Stewart, from Portglenone, is a true Foodie who brings her passions together to create a unique balance of both healthy dishes and sweet treats on her Instagram social media blog, Jill Bakes.
Jill is passionate about creating and sharing recipes on her Instagram platform (@jillbakes_) which are easy to follow, quick to make and not using hundreds of ingredients! And with over 50,000 followers, a lot of people are enjoying Jill’s food journey.
The County Antrim lady has been a keen baker from a very young age, learning many skills from her late Grandma who was a fantastic baker.
Jill is a regular recipe contributor for Ireland’s Homes Interiors and Living magazine.
CLICK HERE to head over to INSTAGRAM to discover JILL BAKES - it is a fantastic blog where you'll discover enough inspiration to keep you baking and cooking for months!