Firing Up the Grill for Flexitarians: The No Chicken Nando’s has landed
• Nando’s launches its first-ever Plant-Based Meat Alternative
• Named ‘The Great Imitator’, the delicious new product is designed to taste, look and smell just like its famous PERi-PERi chicken breast fillet
• Made with PERi-PERi-infused Pea Protein, the new product launch is aimed at its flexitarianfans
• It comes as part of the restaurant chain’s focus on positive change and sustainability drive across the business
In a game-changing move for flexitarians across Northern Ireland, Nando’s has today announced it is launching its first-ever plant-based meatalternative. Aptly named The Great Imitator, the delicious new product was crafted to taste just like its signature PERi-PERi chicken breast fillet, but is made entirely from Pea Protein – you could say they’re two peas in a pod…
Due to satisfy the tastebuds of Northern Irish fans from 13th October, the new plant based product is aimed at flexitarians who want to cut back on their meat intake but don’t want to compromise on the great taste of PERi-PERi.
The Great Imitator will be served as four strips that are grilled to order and sit on the menu as part of the Burgers, Pittas and Wraps category*. Nando’s fans will still be able to turn up the heat, by choosing their desired level of spice on the PERi-ometer, as they would with their usual Nando’s order.
The Nando’s menu has always been about choice, customisation and catering to different tastes; this launch is a natural build on this key principle with PERi-PERi fans at heart. The launch comes as part of a move to cater to changing dietary habits of its loyal fans as well as develop more sustainable product options reducing the carbon footprint of every Nando’s meal.
Dawn Carr, Director of Vegan Corporate Projects, PETA, says: "PETA is delighted to have played a part in Nando's journey to putting this delicious plant-based chicken on the table. Nando's can't guarantee zero risk of cross-contamination, so it's not calling it vegan, but as all the ingredients in the burger and pitta versions are completely animal-free – right down to the mayo – we say these are an excellent choice for vegans, vegetarians, meat-reducers, and chickens. Cluck yes!"
Sticking with the plant-based theme, the Great Imitator isn’t the only new item coming to the October Nando’s menu. Those looking for the perfect starter to share can now tuck into some Sweet Potato Wedges with Garlic PERinaise, both are plant based and 10p from each purchase goes to Nando’s Fighting Marlia. Garlic PERinaise is also now available as a condiment along with PERi BBQ for all those PERi Tamer fans out there.
The Great Imitator and Sweet Potato Wedges with Garlic PERinaise will both be available to all flexitarian and PERi-PERi fans across restaurants and delivery nationwide from Tuesday 13th October. For more information, head to:
• *The mayonnaise (Burgers and Pittas) and lightly spiced yogurt mayonnaise (Wraps) will be replaced by Nando’s Vegan PERi-naise.
• The Great Imitator is prepared on the same grills as our signature chicken and is therefore not suitable for vegans.
• While Garlic PERinaise is plant based PERi BBQ is not