top of page
  • Writer's pictureLove Ballymena

Translink strike ‘suspended’ after staff receive new pay offer

Translink bus in Northern Ireland

A planned strike by transport workers in Northern Ireland has been suspended after unions received a new pay offer from Translink.


The unions have been locked in dispute over recent months and staff were set to walk out for 72 hours from Tuesday 27th to Thursday 29th February.


The three unions involved confirmed the action has been suspended.



A spokesman for the unions said:


“Following an improved pay offer by Translink the three public transport trade unions (Unite, GMB and SIPTU), will suspend the forthcoming strike action and will ballot their memberships on the new offer.


“Pay negotiations between the transport unions and Translink management were reconvened today (Sunday) following the rejection of an initial pay offer by management on Thursday (22 February).


"Following the receipt of an improved pay offer for all Translink employees workforce reps suspended the planned 72-hour strike action set for 00.01 on Tuesday (27 February).



“Workers in all three trade unions will now be balloted on the offer.”


Infrastructure Minister John O’Dowd has welcomed the suspension of the transport strike which had been planned for later this week.  


Following a meeting between Translink and the Unions today, the Unions have agreed to suspend the planned strike action and ballot their members on a new offer. 



Minister John O’Dowd said


“Resolving public sector pay quickly has been a key priority for the Executive. This is a positive development which I very much welcome. I want to thank the Unions and Translink management for their determination to find a resolution to this dispute.”  

Comentarios


bottom of page