top of page
  • Writer's pictureLove Ballymena

Police arrest man following Belfast City Centre blaze

Large building on fire

Images: Matt Stitt Photography

Police have confirmed that a man had been arrested in connection with a suspicious blaze in Belfast City Centre which tore through a derelict building in the early hours of Wednesday morning, 31st May.

The man remains in police custody at this time.

Emergency Services were tasked to the scene of the fire on Samuel Street at 2.40am. Police closed a number of roads in the vicinity of the building as firefighters battled the blaze. These roads have since reopened late this afternoon.

Large building on fire

A spokesperson for the Police Service of Northern Ireland said:

"Police have worked closely with NI Fire and Rescue Service crews, who have extinguished the fire, and other partners to ensure public safety and minimise the impact on local businesses. All roads have now reopened to traffic.  

"Police enquiries are ongoing and anyone with information or who has CCTV or dash-cam footage from the area at the time of the incident, reported at 2.40am, to contact police on 101, quoting 142 of 31/05/23."

Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service has also issued a statement this evening. NIFRS Group Commander Gerry Clifton said:

"We can confirm that the fire at a derelict building on Samuel Street, Belfast is now over.

"The cause of the fire remains under investigation and we will continue to work with the Police Service of Northern Ireland and our other partner agencies during the course of the investigation.

"NIFRS received the initial call at 2.40am this morning.

"At the height of the incident there were 40 Firefighters and 8 Officers involved in the firefighting operation. 6 Fire Appliances from Central, Whitla, Springfield, Westland & Cadogan, a Command Support Unit from Lisburn & 2 Aerial Appliances from Springfield and Knock attended the incident.

"Our Firefighters worked tirelessly throughout the duration of the incident to ensure that the fire was brought under control and prevented the spread to nearby premises in Belfast City Centre.

"We would like to thank the public for their patience whilst we dealt with the incident."


bottom of page