top of page

Pensioner hospitalised following late-night assault in Ballymena

  • Writer: Love Ballymena
    Love Ballymena
  • 1 day ago
  • 2 min read
PSNI police car

A pensioner was reportedly left requiring hospital treatment after an assault in Ballymena on Saturday night, with police appealing for witnesses and footage from the area.


The PSNI said the assault was reported in the vicinity of Barra Drive at approximately 10.25pm on Saturday 15 August.


Police have not released details about the age of the man or the extent of his injuries. However, Ballykeel 1 Moving Forward Community Group said a pensioner had been attacked close to the bridge in Ballykeel 1 and was left hospitalised.



Community group appeals for information


In a statement following the incident, the group said:


“A pensioner was attacked in Ballykeel 1 last night close to the bridge around 1030pm and was left hospitalised. If anyone has any CCTV or any information it would be greatly appreciated.


“Also to the two people who alerted the emergency services, thank you.”


The group also urged people living locally to take additional care when out at night.


“We would urge everyone in the area to please be extra cautious, particularly when out alone at night. Please stay aware of your surroundings and, where possible, walk with someone or let family/friends know where you are.”



Police seek witnesses and footage


Police are asking anyone who witnessed the assault, or who may have CCTV or other footage that could assist their investigation, to contact officers.


Anyone with information should call police on 101, quoting reference 1637 15/08/26.


Information can also be provided anonymously to Crimestoppers by calling 0800 555 111 or online.


The circumstances surrounding the assault remain under investigation, and police are seeking information that could help establish what happened in the Barra Drive area on Saturday night.



bottom of page