top of page

MURDER investigation launched after discovery of suspected human remains

Chloe Mitchell and candle

Detectives from the Police Service of Northern Ireland's Major Investigation Team have today, Sunday June 11th, launched a murder enquiry following the discovery of suspected human remains in Ballymena.


Detective Chief Inspector Richard Millar said:


"Sadly today detectives have recovered suspected human remains in Ballymena, and while there has been no formal identification, we have now launched a murder enquiry into the circumstances surrounding the disappearance of 21-year-old Chloe Mitchell, who was a high risk missing person.


"Earlier this week we launched a criminal investigation into Chloe's disappearance. Tragically, we now have reason to believe that Chloe was murdered.



"Our thoughts this evening are very much with Chloe's family and we have specialist officers providing them with support at this heart-breaking time.


"I would like to thank the community in Ballymena and the Search and Rescue teams for their help in trying to find Chloe.


"Two men, aged 26 and 34, remain in police custody helping police with their enquiries.


"Further details will follow in due course."



A spokesperson for the Community Rescue Service confirmed in a statement that the organisation's volunteers stood down the search operation on Sunday evening.


"As of 20.30 this evening, Sunday the 11th June, the CRS have completed their searches in the Ballymena area for missing person Chloe Mitchell," the spokesperson said.


"We have now handed over to the PSNI to continue with their investigations.


"The CRS would like to thank the people of Ballymena, those who live and work in the Harryville area and especially Chloe's family and friends for their exceptional support during our operations.



"We remain on standby to respond to any further requests for assistance or taskings from police."


North Antrim MP Ian Paisley commented saying:


"I am deeply saddened and disturbed like most of my constituents to learn tonight that the police are now involved in a murder investigation into Chloe Mitchell’s disappearance.


"This is heartbreaking news for Chloe’s family and friends and will shadow the town of Ballymena with sadness.


"The family have stated they are broken. No one can understand just how deep that break is. I understand the police will be giving a detailed press conference in the morning.


"Could I thank all those who helped with the search and rescue and who gave of their time so willingly to help."


Anyone with information is asked to call detectives on 101 and quote reference number 2262 of 05/06/23


Alternatively, you can submit information and/or upload videos, images and dash cam footage onto the Major Incident Public Portal on:



You can also contact the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or online at www.crimestoppers.uk.org.




Comments


bottom of page