JILL BAKES | The perfect Christmas Day showstopper dessert
Christmas is such an amazing time of the year when families get together, enjoying the lights, love and laughter, and it affords the perfect time for you to showoff your baking skills… with the help of Jill Stewart!
Check out this perfect Christmas Day showstopper dessert - Christmas Pavlova Wreath by Jill Bakes. (Insta: @jillbakes_)
• For the pavlova
6 large eggs whites
330g caster sugar
1 tsp cornflour
1 tsp white wine vinegar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
• For decorating
500ml double cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp icing sugar, sifted
200g strawberries, quartered
50g pomegranate seeds
Extra icing sugar, to dust
1. Preheat your oven to 140C Fan. Line a large baking tray with a sheet of baking paper. Draw a large circle using a large dinner plate as a guide (about 30cm in diameter), then draw around a smaller plate (around 15cm) in the middle of the larger circle to make a ring.
3. Put the egg whites into the bowl of a stand mixer and whisk on high speed until soft peaks form. Then add the sugar 1 tsp at a time, whisking until stiff and glossy.
4. Mix the white wine vinegar and cornflour together in a small bowl, then add this to the whisked egg whites along with the vanilla and mix.
5. Dollop the meringue onto the ring drawn on the baking sheet using a tablespoon. Hollow out the middle of the meringue slightly with the spoon, so that the cream and fruit can sit in this.
6. Place into the oven and reduce the temperature to 120C Fan. Bake for 60-75 minutes, until the outside is hard but still white. Turn the oven off, leave the oven door shut and leave the pavlova inside for an hour or preferably overnight to cool and dry. 7. To assemble, whip the cream, vanilla extract and icing sugar together until stiff peaks form but be careful not to over-whip. Spoon the cream into the hollow of the meringue. Then decorate with the strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and pomegranate. Dust with icing sugar right before serving.
Top tip: You can make the pavlova base up to a month in advance which makes this a perfect easy dessert for Christmas Day! Simply wrap the cooked meringue in cling film and a layer of foil and store in a cool dry place.
JILL BAKES | MEET JILL STEWART
Jill Stewart, from Portglenone, is both a Foodie and a Dietician, who brings her passions together to create a unique balance of both healthy dishes and sweet treats on her Instagram social media blog, Jill Bakes.
Jill is passionate about creating and sharing recipes on her Instagram platform (@jillbakes_) which are easy to follow, quick to make and not using hundreds of ingredients! And with almost 6,000 followers, a lot of people are enjoying Jill’s food journey.
As a Registered Dietitian, Jill is passionate about inspiring people to enjoy eating healthily, by showing that eating well doesn’t have to boring.
Proving that Dietitians aren’t the ‘food police’, Jill is a believer in moderation and that all foods can be enjoyed as part of a healthy balanced diet.
The County Antrim lady has been a keen baker from a very young age, learning many skills from her late Grandma who was a fantastic baker.
Jill is a regular recipe contributor for Ireland’s Homes Interiors and Living magazine.
Head over INSTAGRAM to discover JILL BAKES - it is a fantastic blog where you'll discover enough inspiration to keep you baking and cooking for months!